Author Topic: Recovering filing cabinet from AOL  (Read 36667 times)

ohioweaver

Recovering filing cabinet from AOL
« on: October 10, 2006, 03:58:03 PM »
I am probably the one who screwed it up, I changed from dial up to Cable broadband and discontinued my AOL payment as per their instructions.  I had my organize folder on desktop so I just assumed when I began my free AOL that I would recover it like in the past.  But, NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO, when I logged on it said something about update my AOL, which I did, and although my Favorites returned ok, my FILING CABINET did not.  I've tried many ways to reinstitute it and all have failed.  I tried changing my filing cabint files by changing that little icon from Word Pad to the AOL icon, but nothing worked.  I am hoping all of my important saved files are still there, but I don't know, first, what should the name of these files look like and what file ending should they have to restore them please?
I'm a Senior Citizen so I need someone willing to work with me step by step.  Please assist me if you can?  Thank you

Mark0

• Administrator
    • Mark0's Home Page
Re: Recovering filing cabinet from AOL
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
Hi!

Unfortunately I have no direct experience with AOL or their PFCs files. I just happen to have coded that PFCEx tool to extract the URLs / favorites because I saw an easy way to do it.
You may try to ask for help on the FILExt forum. There are lots of knowledgable peoples there, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you with this issue.

Bye!

issy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
Hi,
HELP!
i downloaded the PFCEx application and seemingly managed to transfer my favourites from aol. 

However when I try to read the new file it flashes briefly on the screen and then vanishes.. am i doing something wrong?

Mark0

• Administrator
    • Mark0's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 09:35:43 AM »
Hi issy!

That's strange. The new file is just a simple HTML file, it should open normally with your default browser.
Eventually, you could try to open it starting from the browser, and going to the File, Open... menu option.

Bye!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:37:57 AM by Mark0 »

larry

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »
I just converted my AOL "favorites places file" to HTML. It's been a while since I used the DOS command. Worked great.
Wanted to send a donation useing paypal and the window opened in Italian. Couldn't figure out how to change the window to english, and log in. Got any suggestions?

A great improvement would be to keep the files from AOL in the same folders that they are stored in on AOL.

Mark0

• Administrator
    • Mark0's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
I just converted my AOL "favorites places file" to HTML. It's been a while since I used the DOS command. Worked great.

Good! Nice to hear that it helped.

Wanted to send a donation useing paypal and the window opened in Italian. Couldn't figure out how to change the window to english, and log in. Got any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback, and also for the good intention! :) I'll have to check the PayPal code on that pages. In the mean time, you can probably use the same donation icon in the TrID english page; that should work in the correct language, I hope.

Thanks,
Bye!

larry

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 04:59:14 AM »
With the help of a person who can read Italian I was able to make my meager donation. :)

Now, about keeping the converted files in the same AOL "my favorite places" folders.....

ml

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:11:22 AM »
I am probably the one who screwed it up, I changed from dial up to Cable broadband and discontinued my AOL payment as per their instructions.  I had my organize folder on desktop so I just assumed when I began my free AOL that I would recover it like in the past.  But, NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO, when I logged on it said something about update my AOL, which I did, and although my Favorites returned ok, my FILING CABINET did not.  I've tried many ways to reinstitute it and all have failed.  I tried changing my filing cabint files by changing that little icon from Word Pad to the AOL icon, but nothing worked.  I am hoping all of my important saved files are still there, but I don't know, first, what should the name of these files look like and what file ending should they have to restore them please?
I'm a Senior Citizen so I need someone willing to work with me step by step.  Please assist me if you can?  Thank you
???