Author Topic: bitmaprip  (Read 16169 times)

25wood

bitmaprip
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »
Dear Sir,

I have tried, without success to use your Bitmaprip programme to extract some Jpej images from a compressed folder created using the infamous Microsoft 'FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD'. There are three files within the folder of 2gig marked IMG00001.dat to IMG00003.dat one file of 215Kb marked IMG00004.dat and a status file of 1Kb There are quite literally thousands of people who are unable to reinstall their files after using this wizard and in my case I have lost many hundreds of photographs. The internet has many forum's dedicated to this problem with no definitive method of resolving the issue and Microsoft have not bothered thus far to de-bug this wizard.. The files appear intact however there must be some reason why so many people have problems getting the wizard to de-compress them to the new computer. I have tried your Bitmaprip routine but when I run it from the command prompt I get the Microsoft error reporting screen. When I use the 'examine individual file' option in the GUI version available off this forum the log just returns the file and its size without scanning within the file for jpeg's. Is there a way of making your programme examine each individual compressed file? I have used your minidumper programme to look at the headers of the files the HEX results mean nothing to be but there are no obvious 'breaks'.

Hope you can help me and many others with the same problem. I  am sure that there would be many smiling faces around the globe if you could suggest a way of using your software or suggest an alternative way of cracking the problem.

Mark0

• Administrator
    • Mark0's Home Page
Re: bitmaprip
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
Hi!

I'm not really familiar with this kind of files. But if they are compressed, I see little chances for BitmapRip to find something useful within them.
Anyway, I'll try to do produce some Transfer Wizard's files and do some checking when I'll have some time. If I'll find something interesting, will surely post here.

Bye!

25wood

Re: bitmaprip
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »
Thanks For the reply Marc O . I really appreciate your interest.

Tony