Author Topic: TrID and .tar files  (Read 9264 times)

Shehi

TrID and .tar files
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
Whenever I run TAR files against TrID, the result gives me:

93.5% (.DAT) MirandaIM database-archive file (82506/6/30)
6.2% (.ATM) Vue D'Esprit 4 Atmosphere Preset (5501/1/2)
0.1% (.TAR) TAR - Tape ARchive (154/5)

which looks quite disappointing. Does it mean we have definition-file conflict here, because this comes up whenever I run the program again ANY .tar file - both on Win and Linux environments, no matter what tool was created to make that .tar archive. Is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks...

Scrapie

Re: TrID and .tar files
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
Hi

Just generate a new signature out of a few of your TAR-Files and send it to Marco.
He will check it against the Miranda-File and put it in the official Signatures.

But you are right, there is something wrong. I get the following results for TAR generated with 7zip:
0,0% - Unknown!

or if I'm lucky:
98,7% APW - Any Password data
0,9% DBF - Sybase iAnywhere database files
0,3% CEL - Autodesk FLIC Image File

Cheers,
Scrapie

Shehi

Re: TrID and .tar files
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:32 PM »
You are getting that from 7z tars because Igor [the author] doesn't even bother using right signatures in his files [USTAR string, offset 254 I guess]. I told him [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/3686403 ], and that yielded no results. Plus (I don't know about others) rar's as well, created by 7z, give header corrupt errors from time to time, so I quit using the software altogether... So, don't bother with 7z created files - do your tests with other archivers [say IzARC or WinRAR]...

And, to be honest, Marco doesn't need my test results, any linux distribution has a file called "magic" where all signatures reside. You can check TAR signatures and many others there...